VENEZIA / VENEDIG / VENICE: Tag 1 / Day 1

Zum Vergrößern Bilder anklicken.
Click on the images to enlarge them.

Vorige Bilderstrecke / Previous gallery: Ankunft mit der Fähre / Arrival by ferry

Die Bilder entstanden im September 2020, im Verlauf eines weitgehend ziellosen Umherschweifens durch die Stadt.
The pictures were taken in September 2020. We were simply strolling about, without much in the way of an agenda.

Lido.
Anlegestelle der Vaporetti.
This is the stop for the vaporetti.

Blick hinüber von Lido nach San Marco. Rechts eine der Autofähren, die wir am Vortag benutzt hatten.
Looking from Lido towards San Marco. On the right one of the car ferries that we had taken the previous day.

Auf dem Vaporetto.

Lido vom Wasser.

Riva & Ponte dei 7 Martiri
Ponte della Veneta Marina
San Giorgio Maggiore (Andrea Palladio, 1565ff.)
Santa Maria della Salute (Baldassare Longhena, 1631ff.)

Die Salute ist das Ergebnis eines öffentlichen Gelübdes des Patriarchen und des Doge von Venedig. Es herrschte 1630 die Pest, und als sie wenig später wieder weg war (Patriarch und Doge nebst rund 80.000 weiteren städtischen Pesttoten übrigens auch), mußte zum Dank die Kirche her. Das Ding steht jetzt einfach so da, als bekanntes Wahrzeichen. Jedoch: „Kunst ist schön, macht aber viel Arbeit.“ (Angeblich ja von Karl Valentin, tatsächlich aber offenbar aus einem Dialog des 1932 von Max Ophüls gedrehten Films Die verkaufte Braut, in dem KV zwar an anderer Stelle auch auftritt, doch ohne mit dem Drehbuch etwas zu tun gehabt zu haben.)

Die technischen Herausforderungen waren enorm, angefangen bei den mehr als einer Million (!) Eichenpfählen, die eingerammt zu werden hatten, ehe mit dem Bau überhaupt begonnen werden konnte. Auch dann noch wurde in Super-Leichtbauweise gearbeitet. Der Architekt, bei Baubeginn Anfang 30, blieb sein Leben lang mit dem Projekt beschäftigt. Als man 1687 endlich fertig war, war er fünf Jahre tot.

The Salute church is the result of a public vow by the patriarch and the doge of Venice. In 1630 the plague was in Venice. When, shortly after, it was gone (as were the patriarch, the doge and some 80,000 other plague dead in the city), the church was needed to give thanks for this. Now it just stands there, a well-known landmark. No one remembers the vast effort it took to put it up.

The technical challenge was enormous, starting with the need to ram one million (!) oak piles into the mud of the lagoon before construction could even begin. Still the structure had to be as light as possible. The architect, in his early thirties when the design was approved, remained busy with the project for the rest of his life. When it was at last completed in 1687 he had been dead for five years.

Riva degli Schiavoni & Palazzo Ducale

In Thomas Manns zuerst 1912 gedruckter Novelle Der Tod in Venedig kommt die Hauptfigur mit dem Dampfer aus Kroatien an. Die Ausschiffung erfolgt hier am Markusplatz.

So sah er ihn denn wieder, den erstaunlichsten Landungsplatz, jene blendende Komposition phantastischen Bauwerks, welche die Republik den ehrfürchtigen Blicken nahender Seefahrer entgegenstellte… und anschauend bedachte er, daß zu Lande, auf dem Bahnhof in Venedig anlangen einen Palast durch eine Hintertür betreten heiße, und daß man nicht anders, als wie nun er, als zu Schiffe, als über das hohe Meer die unwahrscheinlichste der Städte erreichen sollte.

In Thomas Mann’s novella Death in Venice, first printed in 1912, the main character arrives by steamer from Croatia. The passengers disembark here, at St Mark’s Square.

He saw it once more, that landing-place that takes the breath away, that amazing group of incredible structures the Republic set up to meet the eye of the awe-struck eye of the approaching seafarer… Looking, he thought that to come to Venice by the station is like entering a palace by the back door. No one should approach, save by the high seas as he was doing now, this most improbable of cities.

(Trans. H.T. Lowe-Porter 1928. I compared several English translations and I think this is still the best despite several more recent attempts, which on top of not being all that faithful either tend to suffer from sounding too modern. Even Lowe-Porter is far from the artfully stilted language of the original. Epithets — and nouns, and verbs — tend to become a bit trite: blendend — literally, „blinding“: too bright to look at, dazzling — is more interesting than „amazing“, phantastisch „fantastical“ is more interesting than „incredible“, komposition is something more than „group“. Corners are cut. Thus the last sentence, rendered more literally, should read: „No one should approach, save by boat, save by the high seas — as he was doing now — this most improbable of cities.“ I wonder if Lowe-Porter left out „by boat“ from carelessnes or from a desire to keep the sentence manageable. Perhaps the latter, since in the preceding sentence he likewise omits „by land“. And there was probably no way Mann’s play on the word bauwerk could be translated at all. In normal usage the term simply means „building, edifice“, but the suffix –werk may also serve to indicate a collection of distinct but similar objects, as for example in backwerk „bakery goods“. In organ building the pipes of an organ may be referred to collectively as pfeifenwerk — and here in fact English has an exact equivalent: „pipework“. At once ingeniously and somewhat perversely the grammatical context turns bauwerk into the latter kind of term, so that it means something like „architectural goods“, a collection of architectural items rather than a single building. „Structures“ cannot quite convey that, but it is better than what others have come up with.)

San Giorgio Maggiore von der Riva degli Schiavoni

Angeblich war Venedig wegen Corona „leer wir nie“, aber die einzigen Touristen waren wir mitnichten und die Vaporetti oft voll bis sehr voll.

Venice was supposed to be „empty as never before“ due to Covid, but we were by no means the only tourists and the vaporetti tended to be full to very full.

Riva degli Schiavoni
Rio del Vin von der Riva degli Schiavoni
Calle degli Albanesi von der Riva degli Schiavoni
Palazzo Ducale & San Marco
Piazzetta San Marco: Biblioteca Marciana (© Jacopo Sansovino 1537)
Basilica di San Marco

Ein bißchen Acqua alta sollte auf dem Markusplatz nicht fehlen. Wenn es mehr wird, kommen die hier zerlegt und gestapelt zu sehenden Stege zum Einsatz.

A spot of acqua alta in St Mark’s Square — it wouldn’t be complete without it. When there is more of it the catwalks that in the photograph you see disassembled and stacked come into their own.

Pfützen fotografieren? Ja, je nachdem, was sich drin spiegelt:
Photographing puddles? It always depends on what is mirrored in them:

Basilica di San Marco (1063-94).
Umbauten und Ergänzungen des 13. u. 14.Jhs.
Modifications and additions in the 13th and 14th c.

Das Meiste am Markusdom ist geklaut. Die Säulen von diversen antiken Bauwerken. Die Architekturidee aus Konstantinopel. Die Pferde auch.

Most of St Mark’s was pilfered. The columns come from various buildings that had survived from antiquity. The architectural idea had its home in Constantinople. So did the horses.

Cavalli di San Marco

Diese vier Tiere, ursprünglich wohl Teil einer Quadriga, wurden im Lauf der Jahrtausende gern mal geklaut. Handelt es sich um Originale des Bildhauers Lysipp, der im 4.Jh. v.u.Z. den gesamten griechischsprachigen Kulturraum belieferte? Um Kopien aus hellenistischer, oder aber aus römischer Zeit? Alle diese Datierungen haben Anhänger, und je nachdem, welche nun zutrifft, sind diese Pferde entsprechend schon mehr oder weniger oft „umgezogen“ worden. Aus Rom kamen sie nach Konstantinopel, wo sie das Hippodrom zierten. Nachdem Konstantinopel im Verlauf des „umgeleiteten“ Vierten Kreuzzugs 1204 von den Westchristen erobert und geplündert worden war, fanden sich die Pferde in Venedig wieder. 1798 ließ Napoleon sie mitgehen und auf dem Triumphbogen der Pariser Place du Carrousel aufstellen, der Wiener Kongreß verdonnerte die Franzosen 1815 aber zur Rückgabe.

(Falls Interesse am Klauen: das hier sind neuerdings Kopien. Die Originale stehen drin.)

These four animals, likely once part of a quadriga, have a history of being purloined. Are they originals by Lysippus, the sculptor who in the 4th century BCE supplied the entire Greek-speaking world in the eastern Mediterranean? Are they copies made in the Hellenistic period, or in the Roman period? Each of these theories has its adherents, and depending on which one is true these horses have been repositioned a greater or lesser number of times. From Rome they were brought to Constantinople, where they adorned the hippodrome. When the western Christians sacked Constantinople in the course of the „diverted“ fourth crusade of 1204, the horses turned up in Venice. In 1798 Napoleon took them with him and put them on the triumphal arch in the Place du Carrousel in Paris, but the Congress of Vienna obliged the French to give them back.

(Anyone interested in continuing the series, be aware that the originals are now housed inside. These are copies.)

Eines der eingängigeren, für das Jahr 2020 typischen Bilder des sinnlosen Corona-Aktionismus sind die potenziellen Besuchern (hier des Markusdoms) pistolenartig an den Kopf gehaltenen Fieberthermometer. Als ob sich fiebergeschwächte Kranke mal eben in Schlangen einreihten, um Sehenswürdigkeiten zu besichtigen. (Mag ja sogar vorkommen, aber wie groß ist die Wahrscheinlichkeit? Um ein Vielfaches öfter erfolgt ohne Zweifel die Übertragung durch symptomlos Infizierte — da kommt es auf den einen vielleicht Fiebernden, der ja im übrigen an etwas Anderem leiden kann, nicht an. Doch Schilda ist heuer überall.) Wir verzichteten.

One of the more iconic images representative of the senseless Covid actionism of 2020 are the thermometres held to people’s heads in the manner of pistols, as here in the case of prospective visitors of St Mark’s. As if fever patients were likely to queue to visit some attraction. (Perhaps that even happens, but there can hardly be many? No doubt there is a much greater likelihood of being infected by carriers who do not show symptoms — to the point that a fever sufferer or two, who may even have a temperature due to other reasons, will hardly make a difference.) We passed.

Basilica di San Marco (11.Jh. / 11C)
Nordseite / North side

Ο ΑΜΝΟϹ
Das Lamm
The Lamb
ΟΙ ΑΓΙΟΙ ………………………………….ΑΠΟϹΤΟΛΟ[Ι]
Die heiligen……………………………………….Apostel
The Holy…………………………………………Apostles

Als hier im 11. Jh. gebaut wurde, war Venedig nominell immer noch Teil des von Konstantinopel regierten oströmischen Reichs, und man findet an Kirchenbauten (etwa auf Mosaik-Inschriften) der Zeit neben dem Lateinischen auch noch die Sprache Ostroms, also Griechisch. H meint indes: „Auch geklaut.“ Tatsächlich deuten die Bruchlinien links und rechts auf Zweitverwendung. (Am Besten vergrößern.)

When this was built in the 11C Venice still nominally formed part of the East Roman empire, governed from Constantinople. In churches of that period (for example in mosaics) you still find the language of the eastern empire, that is Greek, beside Latin. H however opines: „they nicked that too.“ Indeed the break lines on the left and right indicate reused material. (Best enlarge the image.)

…jene blendende Komposition phantastischen Bauwerks
that dazzling composition of fantastical architectural artefacts

Womit wir wieder bei Thomas Mann wären. Faszination Gondel:

Wer hätte nicht einen flüchtigen Schauder, eine geheime Scheu und Beklommenheit zu bekämpfen gehabt, wenn es zum ersten Mal oder nach langer Entwöhnung galt, eine venezianische Gondel zu besteigen? Das seltsame Fahrzeug, aus balladesken Zeiten ganz unverändert überkommen und so eigentümlich schwarz, wie sonst unter allen Dingen nur Särge sind, es erinnert an lautlose und verbrecherische Abenteuer in plätschernder Nacht, es erinnert noch mehr an den Tod selbst, an Bahre und düsteres Begängnis und letzte, schweigsame Fahrt.

That brings us back to Thomas Mann.

Is there anyone but must repress a secret thrill, on arriving in Venice for the first time — or returning thither after long absence — and stepping into a Venetian gondola? That singular conveyance, come down unchanged from ballad times, black as nothing else on earth except a coffin — what pictures it calls up of lawless, silent adventures in the plashing night; or even more, what visions of death itself, the bier and solemn rites and last soundless voyage!

(But why did Lowe-Porter not stick to the text more closely? „…a fleeting shudder, a secret awe and dread, on being expected to step for the first time, or having long lost the habit, into a Venetian gondola?“ The rest is somewhat approximative too.)

Santa Maria Formosa
Santa Maria Formosa

Für die Neuerrichtung dieser Pfarrkirche in ihrer heutigen Form sorgte 1542 die Familie Cappello. Über dem Hauptportal thront das Grabdenkmal des kurz zuvor verstorbenen venezianischen Politikers und Admirals Vincenzo Cappello (1469-1541).

The Cappello family had this parish church rebuilt in its present shape in 1542. Above the main door is the sepulchral monument of the recently dead Venetian statesman and admiral Vincenzo Cappello (1469-1541).

PATRIARCHAT VON VENEDIG
Pfarre Santa Maria Formosa

Verordnung betreffend Zugang zu Kultstätten anläßlich gottesdienstlicher Feiern im Hinblick auf die geltenden Hygieneregeln und Eindämmungsmaßnahmen

Die angesichts des zur Verfügung stehenden Raums zugelassene Höchstzahl an Teilnehmenden beträgt 100 (davon 100 im Inneren und xxx im Außenbereich).

Der Zugang ist denjenigen untersagt, die:
– Symptome einer grippalen oder Atemwegs-Erkrankung aufweisen
– eine Körpertemperatur von 37,5 Grad oder mehr haben
– in den vergangenen Tagen in Kontakt mit Personen standen, die mit SARS-CoV-2 infiziert sind.

Wer die Kultstätte betritt, muß zwingend
– beim Umhergehen den Sicherheitsabstand von 1,5m einhalten
– eine Maske tragen, die Mund und Nase bedeckt
– sich die Hände desinfizieren (die Verwendung von Einmalhandschuhen ist zulässig, sofern sie ungebraucht sind und erst beim Eintreten angezogen werden)
– ausschließlich die entsprechend gekennzeichneten Plätze einnehmen.

ACHTUNG
Wer die Kirche betritt, ohne sich zuvor zu vergewissern, alle Voraussetzungen zu erfüllen, ist für die Folgen verantwortlich, einschließlich der von Staats wegen vorgesehenen Strafen.

Ähm. Hochwürden Patriarch haben offensichtlich eine fähige Rechtsabteilung. Doch was hielte hiervon wohl Jesus? (Die Amtskirche, denke ich immer wieder, ist eigentlich die Rache der Pharisäer an Jesus.)

PATRIARCHATE OF VENICE
Parish of Santa Maria Formosa

Rules governing the access to places of worship on the occasion of liturgical celebrations in respect of the norms of hygiene and the containment measures currently in force

In view of the space available the maximum number of participants is one hundred, of whom one hundred inside and XXX outside.

Access is prohibited to persons who
— show symptoms of influenza or respiratory illness
— have a body temperature equal to, or higher than, 37.5 degrees centigrade
— have been in contact with persons tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 in the preceding days

Those entering the place of worship must compulsorily
— maintain a safe distance of 1.5 metres when walking around
— wear a mask covering their nose and mouth
— disinfect their hands (the use of disposable gloves is permitted, provided they have not been used and are put on only when entering)
— occupy only those seats marked as allowed.

ATTENTION
Anyone entering the church without having previously ascertained that they fulfil every requirement is responsible for the consequences, including the penalties provided for by the laws of the state.

Er. His Holiness The Patriarch is clearly served by a capable legal department. However, what would Jesus have to say about this? (I keep thinking: the church is really the revenge of the Pharisees on Jesus.)

Santa Maria dei Miracoli (Pietro Lombardo 1481-89)
Scuola Grande di San Marco (Pietro Lombardo & Mauro Codussi, 1488-95)
Campo Santi Giovanni e Paolo
Andrea del Verrocchio: Bartolomeo Colleoni (1493)

Der Söldnerführer Bartolomeo Colleoni (1395-1475) setzte die Republik Venedig zum Erben seines Vermögens ein. War wohl eine ganze Menge Geld. Bedingung: es war sein Standbild zu errichten. Was herauskam, wäre die Mutter aller Reiterstandbilder, hätte es nicht schon (oder noch, wie man’s nimmt) das hier gegeben. (Vergrößern dieser Bilder lohnt — einfach anklicken.)

Bartolomeo Colleoni (1395-1475) was a mercenary leader who left his fortune to the Republic of Venice. Quite a lot of money it seems. The condition: there had to be a public monument to him. The result would be the mother of all equestrian statues if, of course, there wasn’t also this. (These images are well worth aggrandising — just click on them.)

Santi Giovanni e Paolo

Bettelordenskirchen tendierten ja grundsätzlich zum Geräumigen, aber in Norditalien (Florenz, Venedig) gehen sie gern schon mal in Richtung Bahnhofshalle. Für ihre hiesige Niederlassung erbauten die Dominikaner im 14. und 15. Jh. dieses Objekt. Länge knapp 100 Meter, …

Churches of the mendicant orders generally tended to be roomy, but in Italy (Florence, Venice) some of them rival the larger Victorian railway stations. For their Venice branch the Dominicans built this. Almost 100 metres long, …

Santi Giovanni e Paolo

…Innenhöhe 35 Meter. Denkt kann gar nicht: hoch sieht immer kürzer aus als es ist. Die Traufhöhe Berliner Mietshäuser mit ihren fünf Stockwerken wurde 1887 bekanntlich auf 22 Meter festgelegt. Man könnte hier also immerhin anderthalb davon unter das Gewölbe klemmen. (Dieses Gewölbe ist übrigens anscheinend aus verputztem Schilfrohr. Wiegt weniger. Unter uns sind ja nur ein paar Eichenpfähle und ganz viel Sumpf. Die Balken auf Kapitellhöhe sind hölzerne Zuganker, zur Versteifung.)

…with an interior height of 35 metres. You wouldn’t think so: high always looks shorter than it is. In 1887 it was laid down that apartment buildings in Berlin could have a maximum height of 22 meters from the ground to the eaves (which meant five storeys, since ceilings in those days were high). So you could stack one-and-a-half of those under the vault here. (A vault apparently made of reed covered with stucco. Weighs less. After all there is nothing underneath us except some oak piles and a lot of mud. Note the tie beams at the level of the capitals, which help to stabilise the structure.)

Santa Maria dei Derelitti

Die Kirche mit dem interessanten Namen bekam 1674 eine neue Fassade von Baldassare Longhena, dem Architekten von Santa Maria della Salute.

In 1674 this church with its interesting name was given a new façade by Baldassare Longhena, the architect of Santa Maria della Salute.

Santa Maria dei Derelitti
San Francesco della Vigna
San Francesco della Vigna (Fassade © Andrea Palladio 1562)
San Francesco della Vigna

Auch eine Bettelordenskirche, der Franziskaner nämlich, allerdings war hier nicht deren Hauptniederlassung in Venedig. Der aktuelle Bau ersetzt einen gotischen Vorgänger, Baubeginn 1531, Planung Jacopo Sansovino in Zusammenarbeit mit dem Mystiker und Kabbalisten Francesco Zorzi (1466-1540), selbst Franziskaner. So fußen, zwecks Widerspieglung göttlicher Hamonien, die Proportionen des hier abgebildeten Hauptschiffs auf der magischen Zahl 3: Länge 27 (3x3x3), Breite 9 (3×3); Breite der Seitenkapellen je 3; Chorraum: Breite 3 zu Länge 6 (welche Maßeinheit zugrunde liegt, ist mir nicht klar: der italienische Wikipedia-Eintrag zu der Kirche sagt Fuß, aber das kann so nicht stimmen, ein Fuß hatte in Venedig 35cm). Wir waren beide der Ansicht, daß etwas weniger breit im Verhältnis zur Höhe vielleicht doch besser gewesen wäre. Es traten beim Bau Probleme auf, die wohl ein Hauptgrund dafür waren, daß am Ende die Bauleitung und weitere Planung Palladio übertragen wurden. Erst 1582 erfolgte die Schlußweihe.

Another mendicant church, this one of the Franciscans, whose main branch in Venice however was elsewhere. The present building replaces a Gothic predecessor. It was begun in 1531 to designs by Jacopo Sansovino, who collaborated with the cabbalist mystic Francesco Zorzi (1466-1540), a Franciscan. Supposedly reflecting divine harmonies the proportions of the nave, seen here, are based on the magic number 3: length 27 (3x3x3), width 9 (3×3); width of the side chapels 3 each; chancel: width 3, length 6 (the unit? the Italian Wikipedia article on the church says feet, but that cannot be true; one Venetian foot was 35 cm). We both felt that a little less width in relation to the length might after all have looked better. Problems arose during the construction and may have been a main reason for dismissing Sansovino in favour of Palladio in the final phase. The church was only finally consecrated in 1582.

San Francesco della Vigna
San Francesco della Vigna (Cappella Contarini)
San Francesco della Vigna (Cappella Sagredo: ~1740/45)

Die Fresken der Zwickel und Lünetten von G.B. Tiepolo, das Kuppelfresko (Apotheose des hl. Gerardo Sagredo) von Girolamo Pellegrini, die Büsten des Patriarchen Alvise Sagredo (+1688, links) und des Doge Nicolò Sagredo (+1676) von Antonio Gai, Jungfrau mit Kind und flankierende Engel von Andrea Cominelli.

The frescoes of the spandrels and lunettes by G.B. Tiepolo, that in the cupola (apotheosis of St Gerardo Sagredo) by Girolamo Pellegrini, the busts of patriarch Alvise Sagredo (+1688, left) and doge Nicolò Sagredo (+1676) by Antonio Gai, the virgin and child and the flanking angels by Andrea Cominelli.

San Francesco della Vigna (Cappella Sagredo)

Gerardo Sagredo (Gerhard von Csanád) wurde um 980 in oder bei Venedig geboren und starb 1046 in Buda. Der hl. Stefan, in seiner Eigenschaft als erster christlicher König Ungarns, machte ihn 1030 zum ersten Bischof der neugegründeten Diözese Csanád. 1083 heiliggesprochen, fungiert er als Stadtpatron von Budapest. Sein marmornes Standbild von Cominelli.

Gerardo Sagredo (Gerard of Csanád) was born around 980 in or near Venice and died in 1046 in Buda. St Stephen, in his capacity as first Christian king of Hungary, in 1030 made him the first bishop of the newly founded bishopric of Csanád. Canonised in 1083, he serves as patron of the city of Budapest. His marble statue is by Cominelli.

San Francesco della Vigna

Aus der Kirche gelangt man zu zwei Kreuzgängen, die wohl nur einen kleinen Teil der anscheinend sehr weitläufigen Klosteranlage darstellen.

From the church two cloisters can be accessed — which appear to be only a small part of the vast monastic buildings.

Vorsicht, lebende Mönche. Einer, dunkler Hautfarbe und offenkundig fremdländischer Herkunft, saß als Aufsicht an einem Tisch im Kirchenschiff und las. Brav mit Maske, die wie in allen öffentlichen Innenräumen auch wir als Besucher tragen mußten — dabei kann man sich in dem riesigen Luftvolumen wohl kaum anstecken. Den Gedanken hatte der Mönch offenbar auch: irgendwann nahm er die Maske ab…

Here be live monks. One, dark-skinned and from a clearly distant homeland, sat at a table in the church, reading, but obviously meant to keep an eye on visitors. Dutifully wearing a mask, the same as us visitors, this being mandatory in all public indoor spaces. Even though it would hardly be possible to catch anything in a space as large as this. The monk evidently had the same thought, for eventually he did take the thing off…

San Francesco della Vigna
San Francesco della Vigna
Campo della Confraternità

Links San Francesco della Vigna. Hinter uns befindet sich der Palazzo Gritti, der irgendwann in den Besitz der Mönche überging und daraufhin (im 19. Jh.) mit anderen Klostergebäuden durch den rechts zu sehenden Trakt mit den Säulen verbunden wurde.

San Francesco is on the left. Behind us is the Palazzo Gritti, which at some point became the property of the monks and which thereupon (in the 19C) was linked to other monastic buildings by means of the wing with the colonnade, on the right.

Scuola di San Pasquale Baylon (Gerolamo Viviani, 1675)

Pascual Baylón (1540-92) war ein spanischer Franziskaner, 1618 selig- und 1690 heiliggesprochen. In der Nische sein Standbild. Es handelt sich um das Gebäude einer religiösen Bruderschaft (confraternità, daher der Name des Platzes).

Pascual Baylón (1540-92) was a Spanish Franciscan, beatified in 1618 and canonised in 1690. His statue is in the niche. The building belonged to a religious brotherhood (confraternità, hence the name of the square).

Links der Campanile von S. Francesco.

Canale di Cannaregio
Canale di Cannaregio
Palazzo Surian Bellotto (~1650/60)
Campanile di San Geremia (12.Jh./12C)
Chiesa di San Geremia (1753-61)

San Geremia (Neubau 1753) liegt an der Einmündung des Canale di Cannaregio in den Canal Grande (links). Die Fassade zum Canale di Cannaregio von 1861. — Wir folgen nun im Prinzip dem Canal Grande. Was zu Fuß allerdings nicht einfach ist, es gibt nämlich unmittelbar am Ufer keinen Weg…

San Geremia (rebuilt in 1753) is situated at the confluence of the Canale di Cannaregio and the Canal Grande (left). The façade facing the Canale die Cannaregio dates from 1861. — We now follow the Canal Grande, at least in principle. In fact on foot this is no easy feat, there being no walkway along the bank…

Ca‘ Pesaro (Baldassare Longhena, 1652ff.)r

Wie bei Santa Maria della Salute erlebte Longhena die Fertigstellung nicht, obwohl er bei Baubeginn noch 30 Jahre zu leben hatte…

As with Santa Maria della Salute Longhena did not live to see this finished, even though when construction started he still had 30 years ahead of him…

Ca‘ Corner della Regina (© Domenico Rossi 1724)
Chiesa luterana di Venezia (ex Scuola dell’Angelo Custode)

Zur Zeit der Republik waren protestantische Gottesdienste in Venedig zwar nicht erlaubt, die deutschen Kaufleute hielten sie indes im Fondaco dei Tedeschi trotzdem ab. Das Ende der Republik 1797 bedeutete auch das Ende dieser letzteren Institution. Nachdem 1812 in Venedig die Religionsfreiheit eingeführt wurde, erwarben die deutschsprachigen Lutheraner 1813 dieses ein Jahrhundert zuvor errichtete Gebäude einer religiösen Bruderschaft.

In the days of the Republic Protestant servies were forbidden in Venice, but the German merchants held them anyway, in the Fondaco dei Tedeschi. The end of the Republic in 1797 also meant the end of that institution. After freedom of religion had been introduced in Venice in 1812 the German-speaking Lutherans in 1813 purchased this property, built a century earlier for a religious brotherhood.

„Evangelische Kirche A[ugsburger] C[onfession]“

Auf dem Reichstag zu Augsburg 1530 übergaben die lutherischen Reichsstände Kaiser Karl V. das sogenannte Augsburger Bekenntnis (Confessio Augustana), ein theologisches Manifest in deutscher und lateinischer Sprache. Sein Name fungierte in den folgenden Jahrhunderten als amtliche Bezeichnung des Luthertums.

At the diet of Augsburg of 1530 the Lutheran estates of the empire presented the emperor Charles V with the so-called Augsburg Confession, a theological manifesto in German and Latin. Its name from then on served as the official designation of the Lutheran party in the politics of the empire.

Chiesa luterana

Zufällig war geöffnet. Eintritt frei, allerdings galt es sich ausführlich mit der Wärterin zu unterhalten.

The place happened to be open. Free entry, only you had to talk (at some length…) to the guardian.

Chiesa luterana
Chiesa luterana
Chiesa dei Santi Apostoli: Campanile (1672, Obergeschosse 18.Jh. / Upper storeys 18C)

Glockenstube und Turmhelm des Campanile Anf. 18.Jh. von Andrea Tirali, von ihm auch die ehemalige Scuola dell’Angelo Custode links im Bild. Auffallend bei beiden die schönen, höhebetonten Proportionen.

The top storey of the tower, for the bells, and the spire were build in the early 18C by Andrea Tirali, also the architect of the former Scuola dell’Angelo Custode on the right. Both are remarkable for the fine proportions, with their emphasis on height.

Chiesa dei Santi Apostoli (1575)

Links der Fondaco dei Tedeschi.

Ponte di Rialto (1591)

Der Fondaco dei Tedeschi von der Rialto-Brücke. Die Niederlassung der deutschsprachigen Kaufleute, die hier ihre Kontore hatten, bestand seit dem frühen 13.Jh. Nach Brand 1505 Errichtung des jetzigen Gebäudes bis 1508.

The Fondaco dei Tedeschi from the Rialto Bridge. From the early 13C this was the headquarters of the German-speaking merchants in Venice, who had their premises here. Following a fire in 1505 the present building was completed in 1508.

Blick von der Rialto-Brücke auf den Canal Grande, im Hintergrund der Campanile von Santi Apostoli.

Ponte di Rialto

Vom Vaporetto heimwärts Richtung Lido aufgenommen.
Taken from the vaporetto bound for Lido, on the way back.

Palazzo Grimani di San Luca (© Michele Sanmicheli 1556)
Palazzo Grimani & Palazzo Corner Contarini dei Cavalli (~1450)
Palazzo Balbi (Alessandro Vittoria 1582-90) & Palazzo Grassi (Giorgio Massari 1748ff.)

Links (left) Campanile der Frari-Kirche und Palazzo Balbi, ganz rechts (right) Palazzo Grassi.

Ponte dell’Accademia (Eugenio Miozzi 1933) & Santa Maria della Salute