Colombo

P1011983

Aufnahmen vom Februar 2015.
Images taken in February 2015.

Die Bilder lassen sich durch Anklicken vergrößern.  Bei Hochformat werden die Bilder durch Anklicken auf Bildschirmgröße gebracht.

Clicking on the images will enlarge them.  Clicking on vertical format images will make them fit the screen. 

Unsere Erkundung der Hauptstadt begann im Fort District, so benannt, weil sich hier die Festung aus niederländischer Zeit befand, wie sie in anderen Küstenstädten der Insel noch zu sehen ist. (Galle, wohin wir noch kommen werden, ist ein ein gutes Beispiel.) Die Bebauung im Fort District stammt aus der britischen Kolonialzeit (19. und erste Hälfte 20. Jahrhundert) und weist viele Repräsentativ- und Geschäfts- eher denn Wohnbauten auf.

Our exploration of the capital began in the Fort District, so called because it was the site of the fortress from the Dutch period which in other coastal towns of the island is still preserved.  (Galle, where we will go later, is a good example.)  The buildings in the Fort District date from the British colonial period (19th c. and first half of 20th c.).  They mostly serve official or business purposes.

P1011963

Aus niederländischer Zeit noch vorhanden das sogenannte Dutch Hospital, ein ebenfalls für die Ansiedlungen der niederländischen Kolonisatoren typisches Bauwerk, das einen Hof mit überdachtem Umgang umschließt und aus dem 17. Jahrhundert stammt (kleines Bild: Zustand 1771). Vor einigen Jahren ist es touristisch hergerichtet worden, mit Boutiquen und Cafés.

Still extant from the Dutch period is the so-called Dutch Hospital, another structure typical of the settlements of the Dutch colonists and which consists of a courtyard surrounded by porticoes (the small image shows it as it looked in 1771).  Some years ago it was restored with a view to attracting tourists, with little shops and cafés.

colombo dutch hospital stich

Map_of_Colombo_Fort JLK van Dort Standard-E-Mail-Ansicht

Oben: Lageplan der Festung von J.L.K. van Dort (Colombo 1831 – Bambalapitiya 1898). Die Jahreszahl rechts unten kann ich nicht entziffern, doch lautet sie wohl 1888; Dort hat anscheinend ein älteres Dokument kopiert (aber englisch beschriftet). Die Schleifung der Wälle und Zuschüttung der Gräben war offenbar in den 1860er Jahren bereits im Gange:

demolition colombo fort

Above: a map of the Colombo Fort by J.L.K. van Dort (Colombo 1831 – Bambalapitiya 1898).  I cannot read the year in the bottom right corner, but apparently it is 1888: Dort must have copied an older document (but his labelling is in English).  As the photograph shows, the demolition of the ramparts and the filling-in of the moats was already under way in the 1860s.

Man versteht ja, daß die Festung im Zentrum der sich entwickelnden Großstadt deplaziert schien, aber würde sich doch wünschen, man hätte einen Weg gesehen, sie zu bewahren. Daß sie für Touristen interessant sein könnte, kam damals wohl niemandem in den Sinn. Unten: das Gebiet der Festung heute.

One understands that the fort must have seemed out of place in the midst of the developing modern city, yet one still wishes that a way had been found to preserve it.  At the time presumably no one imagined that it might once be interesting for tourists.  Below: the area of the fort today.

colombo fort

P1011968

Auch einen Uhrturm wie den im Hintergrund findet man in Städten der Insel häufig. In Colombo gibt es ihn mehrfach.
Clock towers are another thing that is typical of the towns in the island.  In Colombo there are several.

P1011981

Altstadtsanierung à la Sri Lanka?
The old town being restored, Sri Lanka style?

P1011975

P1011978

P1011980

DOOR GEWELT GEVELT, DOOR REGT HERSTELT („Durch Gewalt gefällt, duch Recht wiederhergestellt“): stammt dieses Gebäude wirklich noch von vor 1800, also aus niederländischer Zeit? So ganz möchte man nicht daran glauben, aber völlig ausschließen würde ich es auch nicht. Womöglich wurde die Inschrift indes wiederverwendet; oder das Niederländische auch noch im 19. Jahrhundert verwendet — die niederländischsprachige Bevölkerung verschwand ja wohl nicht über Nacht oder sprach über Nacht auf einmal englisch.

„Felled through might, restored through right“ reads the Dutch rhyme of the inscription.  Does this building really date from the Dutch period, i.e. from before 1800?  It does not look as if it did, but I wouldn’t totally exclude it either.  Perhaps the inscription was reused, or Dutch was still used even in the 19th century — after all, the Dutch-speaking population presumably did not vanish overnight, or start speaking English from one day to the next.

P1011974

Die Proportionen des Gebäudes der State Bank of India stimmen irgendwie so gar nicht zur umgebenden Bebauung.
The dimensions of the building of the State Bank of India somehow don’t blend harmoniously with the neighbourhood.

P1011976

P1011974

(Selbes Gebäude, andere Seite)
(Same building, other side)

P1011991

Cargill’s, 1844 gegründet, war in der ausgehenden britischen Kolonialzeit DAS Warenhandelsunternehmen auf der Insel. Hier der Hauptsitz, 1906 eröffnet und damals auch ein Kaufhaus (das L-förmige Gebäude ist größer, als das Bild vermuten läßt, der andere Flügel um die Ecke ist nämlich viel länger).  Das Unternehmen besteht (und floriert anscheinend) nach wie vor, z.B. als Betreiber einer Supermarktkette.

Cargill’s, founded in 1844, was THE trading company of the island in the latter part of the British colonial period.  This is the headquarters, opened in 1906.  At that time it also housed a department store (the L-shaped building is larger than the photograph suggests, since the other wing is much longer).  The company continues to exist and, it seems, to flourish.  Among other things it operates a supermarket chain.

P1011970

P1011971a

Auch dieses Gebäude ist soeben restauriert worden; ich las, die Arbeiter hätten 20 Schichten Anstrich abgekratzt, um die roten und cremefarbenen Backsteine wieder freizulegen. Was ich nicht feststellen kann, ist seine ursprüngliche oder aktuelle Zweckbestimmung. Und woher stammt der Stein mit dem Datum 1687 und dem Emblem der VOC (Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie)? Rechts dann im gleichen Stil die Jahreszahl 1900 und das Monogramm DMC, das ich bisher nicht zuordnen kann.

This building has also just been restored.  I read that the workers scraped off 20 layers of paint before reaching the red and cream-coloured bricks.  What I cannot find out is what the building was, or is, for.  And where does the stone with the date 1687 and the emblem of the VOC (Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie = United East India Company) come from?  On the right in the same style the date 1900 and the monogramm DMC, whose meaning I have not discovered.

P1011971

P1011992

P1011993

In Europa ist der Name „Ceylon“ leicht anrüchig und man meint, es sei politisch korrekter, den 1972 eingeführten Staatsnamen „Sri Lanka“ zu verwenden.  Der neue Name ist aber im Kontext der damaligen Politik zu sehen — der zunehmenden Diskriminierung der tamilischen Minderheit und der Selbstüberhöhung der buddhistischen singhalesischen Mehrheit, die schließlich in den erst kürzlich beendeten blutigen Bürgerkrieg mündete.  „Sri“ bedeutetet „erhaben, ehrwürdig“ — man kennt das Wort als Ehrentitel indischer Gurus; „Lanka“ hieß in alter Zeit das wesentliche Königreich auf der Insel, das seine Legitimität von der Rolle des Königs als Hüter der Zahnreliquie (ein Eckzahn Buddhas) ableitete.  Wie man hier sieht, ist auf der Insel selbst der Name „Ceylon“ weiterhin in Gebrauch — sogar in amtlichen oder halbamtlichen Zusammenhängen.  Die „Bank of Ceylon“ ist eine der hauptsächlichen Geschäftsbanken der Insel.

In Europe the name „Ceylon“ has a dubious ring to it and it is felt to be more politically correct to use the official name „Sri Lanka“ adopted in 1972.  But this new name must be seen in the context of the politics of that time — the increasing discrimination of the Tamil minority and the self-promotion of the buddhist Singhalese majority, which ultimately led to the bloody civil war only so recently ended.  „Sri“ means „august“ — you may know the word as a honorific for Indian gurus; „Lanka“ was the name of the main buddhist kingdom in the island, which derived its legitimacy from the role of the king as guardian of the tooth relic (one of Buddha’s canines).  As can be seen here in the island itself the name „Ceylon“ is still current — even in official or semi-official usage.  The „Bank of Ceylon“ is one the high street banks in the island.

P1011995

P1011996

Wie hier zu lesen, war die Kirche Bestandteil der niederländischen Gouverneurs-Residenz. Der Raum diente anscheinend als Empfangshalle, und wurde 1804, nach der Übernahme der Insel durch die Briten, umgewidmet.

As you can read here the church originally formed part of the residence of the Dutch governor.  Apparently it served as a reception hall and was recycled as a church in 1804, after the British takeover.

P1011997

Die Bogenstellung rechts geht wohl auf den Umbau zur Kirche durch die Briten zurück.
The arcade on the right seems to be the result of alterations by the British in the context of turning the room into a church.

P1011998

Jane Vivian Parke (? 1806 – Colombo 1842).

Sie starb 36jährig zwei Tage vor Heiligabend.
She died two days before Christmas eve, aged 36.

P1011999

Sir William Coke (Derbyshire 1775 oder 76 – Trincomalee 1818)
Absolvent des Christ Church College Oxford; Stellvertretender Oberster Richter von Ceylon. Starb 43jährig an Dysenterie.
Alumnus of Christ Church College Oxford; Puisne Justice of Ceylon.  Died of dysentery, aged 43.

Eine lateinische Grabschrift auf Ceylon! Bloß zu lesen ist sie aus unerfindlichem Grund schwer — hat sie längere Zeit im Freien zugebracht, bevor sie an ihren jetzigen Ort verbracht wurde?
A Latin epitaph in Ceylon!  But not easy to read — as if, for some unfathomable reason, it had spent quite some time outdoors before being brought to its present site.

Memoriae positum
GULIELMI COKE Equitis
Aedis Christi Oxon. Alumni Studentis
Regis Britannici in hac Insula a Concilio
Qui per annos decem
Rem juridicam hic administravit
Juris Consultus Regius Socius Judex Praeses
Literis humanioribus ornatissimus
Suavitate morum insignis
Ingenio dulcis, Judicio sincerus
Suis benignus, omnibus facilis et urbanus
Justitiae et Propositi
Impavidus, sed placide, Vindex
Bonos omnes sibi conciliavit.
Concivibus dilectus, Indigenis veneratus
Quam carus vixit, quam flebilis occidit.
Nobis et posteris
HOC MARMOR
testetur.
Natus Anglia in agro Derviensi, Decessit Trincomal[..]
Kal. Septembris 1818
Aetat. 43

(Der Punkt nach „occidit“ ist tatsächlich einer, soweit sich das nach dem Foto beurteilen läßt, gehört aber dort offensichtlich nicht hin, die Wortfolge „Quam carus…testetur“ bildet einen durchgehenden Satz.)
(The period after „occidit“ really is a period, as far as can be judged from the photograph, even though it should not be one.  Clearly the words „Quam carus…testetur“ are part of a single sentence.)

P1012003

Sacred to the Memory
of
LIEUTENANT John Gore, R[oyal] N[avy]
only Son of Vice-Admiral Sir John Gore, KCB
who, during the voyage home of his Father’s Flag-Ship „the Melville“ from this station, perished heroically
in an unsuccessful attempt to save the life of a Brother Sailor, off Algoa-Bay, on the 30th April 1835.
Aged 23 Years.

This Tablet was placed here
by his Friend
The Right Hon: Sir Robert Wilmot Horton, Bart: C.C.H. Governor of Ceylon.
October MDCCCXXXVII.

P1012005

Oben: Veranda an der Fort Church.
Above: portico outside the Fort Church.

P1012002

P1012014

P1012010

P1012011

P1012013

P1011994

Östlich schließt sich an den Fort District das Marktviertel Pettah an. Hier geht es weitaus „orientalischer“ und drängeliger zu.
The market district of Pettah borders on the Fort District in the east.  This is much more crowded and looks a lot more „oriental“.

P1012015

P1012017

P1012019

P1012021

P1012038

P1012027

Wahrzeichen von Pettah ist die Ul-Alfar-Moschee von 1909.
A landmark in Pettah: the Ul-Alfar mosque of 1909.

P1012023

P1012022

P1012037

P1012029

P1012034

P1012028

P1012214

Das neugotische Gebäude mit angeschlossener Markthalle wurde 1873 als Rathaus errichtet.
The neogothic building with a covered market attached to it was built in 1873 as the town hall.

P1012216

P1012219

P1012220

P1012223

P1012212

P1012213

P1012165

P1012166

P1012061

Wieder ein drastischer Szenenwechsel: das Mitte der 1920er Jahre errichtete neue Rathaus von Colombo. Es liegt am damals so genannten Victoria Park, heute nach einer schon sehr lange verstorbenen einheimischen Königin in Viharamahadevi Park umbenannt (doch, sie starb schon sehr lange VOR Königin Victoria).

Another drastic change of scenery: the new Colombo town hall erected in the mid-1920s.  It faces what was then called Victoria Park, now renamed Viharamahadevi Park, after a long-dead native queen (yes, rather longer than Queen Victoria).

P1012065

P1012062

P1012064

Buddha im Park, direkt gegenüber dem Rathaus.
Buddha in the park, directly opposite the town hall.

P1012068

P1012072

P1012074

Füße hochlegen nur ohne Schuhe…
Putting your feet up? Only with no shoes on…

P1012069

P1012041

Cinnamon Lakeside Hotel:
Blick auf den Beira Lake, den Stadtsee.
A view of Beira Lake, in the middle of the city.

P1012043

Morgendämmerung über dem Beira-See. Das pagodenartige Dach in der Mitte gehört zum Obersten Gerichtshof, in den 1980er Jahren mit chinesischer Unterstützung errichtet. Links davon der Kirchturm der All Saints Church in Hulftsdorp, wo wir auch noch hinkommen.

Dawn on the Beira Lake.  The pagoda-like roof at the centre is part of the Supreme Court, built in the 1980s with help from China.  To the left of it the spire of All Saints Church in Hulftsdorp, where we will go shortly.

 P1012042

P1012044

P1012047

Vor dem Hotel.  Alle amtlichen Schilder auf der Insel sind singhalesisch und tamilisch beschriftet (die Schriften ähneln sich, sind aber doch sehr verschieden), meist auch Englisch, obwohl anders als in Indien Englisch auf der Insel nicht Amtssprache ist.

Outside the hotel.  All official signage on the island is in both Sinhala and Tamil (the scripts look somewhat alike but are really quite different from each other) as well as, mostly, in English too, even though unlike India English is not an official language in Sri Lanka.

P1012049

Einfriedung eines Bodhi-Baums mit Reiher. (Nein, der ist nicht umgekippt. Die sitzen immer so.)
Enclosure of a Bodhi tree with a heron.  (No, it hasn’t keeled over.  They always sit like that.)

P1012050

Hindu-Tempel im Viertel Slave Island.

P1012051

P1012054

Pelikan-Kolonie in Slave Island.

P1012056

Unten: De Soysa Roundabout mit der Cinnamon Gardens Baptist Church und im Hintergrund der Dewatagaha-Jumma-Moschee. Den Namen de Soysa sahen wir auch schon am Gebäude der Buddhist Young Men’s Association weiter oben. Ein portugiesischer Name, wie sie auf Ceylon erstaunlich häufig sind. Portugiesen (1505-1656), Niederländer (bis 1796) und dann Briten (bis 1948) verbrachten je etwa anderthalb Jahrhunderte auf der Insel. Die Hinterlassenschaften der portugiesischen Ära als der am weitesten zurückliegenden fallen visuell kaum auf — ein paar Festungsmauern, ununterscheidbar von denen der Niederländer, das war es dann schon. Aber kulturell haben sie womöglich nachhaltiger gewirkt als die Niederländer und vielleicht so sehr wie die Briten. Das zeigt sowohl die Prävalenz portugiesischer Familiennamen auf der Insel als auch der Umstand, daß 7,6 Prozent der Bevölkerung sich zum Christentum bekennen (Zensus 2012), schlappe 6,1 Prozent (rund 1,24 Mio. Menschen) aber Katholiken sind, also innerhalb der Gruppe die erdrückende Mehrheit. Die vielfach zersplitterten Protestanten kommen zusammen nur auf etwa 273.000 Personen. Die Anglikaner haben nur rund 50.000 Mitglieder, immerhin aber gehört der Löwenanteil der protestantischen Gemeinden einer im Ursprung britischen Kirche an. So gründeten insonderheit die Methodisten auf der Insel zahlreiche Schulen und haben heute wohl noch um die 40.000 Mitglieder; zu nennen wären auch die Baptisten und die Heilsarmee. Hingegen scheint die Mission der Niederländer wenig erfolgreich gewesen zu sein — obwohl man im 18. Jahrhundert zumindest fallweise einheimische (singhalesische wie tamilische) Prediger rekrutierte. Der Dutch Reformed Church gehören zwar in Städten wie Colombo oder Galle noch historische Kirchengebäude, aber sie hat nur etwa 5000 Mitglieder. Wie schon die Benennung zeigt, spricht sie seit langem nur noch englisch; seit neuestem (2008) fehlt auch das „Dutch“ im Namen, der jetzt „Christian Reformed Church in Sri Lanka“ lautet.

P1012058

Above: De Soysa Roundabout with the Cinnamon Gardens Baptist Church, with the Dewatagaha Jumma Mosque in the background.  We already saw the name de Soysa on the building of the Buddhist Young Men’s Association, above.  Portuguese names are surprisingly frequent in the island.  The Portuguese (1505-1656), the Dutch (until 1796) and then the British (until 1948) each spent about a century-and-a-half in the island. There are few visible remains from the Portuguese era, as the one most distant in time — a few fortifications, indistinguishable from those built by the Dutch; nothing more. But culturally the Portuguese may have had a deeper impact than the Dutch and perhaps even the British.  This is shown both by the prevalence of Portuguese family names and by the circumstance that while 7.6 per cent of the population are christians (according to the 2012 census) 6.1 percent (about 1.24 million people) are catholics; in other words, the vast majority among the christians.  The protestants only number some 273,000 persons, and they are divided into numerous separate churches.  There are only about 50,000 Anglicans; yet at least churches originating in Britain constitute a majority among the protestants.  The methodists in particular founded many schools in the island and today still have some 40,000 members; there are also baptists, or the Salvation Army. By contrast Dutch missionising seems to have had little success — even though in the 18th century native preachers (both Singhalese and Tamil) were indeed recruited, at least here and there.  The Dutch Reformed Church still owns historic churches in places like Colombo or Galle, but it has only about 5,000 members.  As the name shows, it has long become English-speaking.  Very recently (in 2008) even the word „Dutch“ was eliminated: the official name is now „Christian Reformed Church in Sri Lanka“.

P1012085

Es werden auch schon mal Rinder durch die Stadt getrieben (vorne der Hirte). Zumindest sahen wir das hier, in der Nähe des…
Cattle are occasionally driven through the streets of the city (in front: the cow herd).  At least we saw that here, near the…

P1012079

…Borella General Cemetery. 1840 eröffnet, steht dieser Friedhof allen Religionen offen, die aber jeweils ihren eigenen Bereich haben.
…Borella General Cemetery.  Opened in 1840, the cemetery is open to all religions, but they each have their separate area.

P1012088

P1012092

P1012091

P1012090

P1012089

Anglikanische Friedhofskapelle.
The Anglican chapel.

P1012093

P1012099

P1012094

Römisch-Katholische Friedhofskapelle.
The Roman Catholic chapel.

P1012095

P1012096

P1012097

P1012098

Buddhistische oder hinduistische Gräber? Kann man das erkennen, und wenn ja, woran? (Muslime gibt es hier anscheinend nicht, sie ziehen eigene Begräbnisplätze vor.)

Buddhist or hindu graves?  Can you even tell them apart, and if so, how?  (Apparently there are no muslims in the cemetery, they prefer their own burial places.)

P1012114

Entlang der Bauddhaloka Mawatha, einer wichtigen Verkehrsader, die vom Borella-Friedhof südwestlich Richtung Meer führt, liegen zahlreiche Behörden, Botschaften, Sitze von Vereinigungen und dergleichen. Auch das Wetteramt (oben). Oder die anglikanische Kathedrale (unten).

The Bauddhaloka Mawatha is an important thoroughfare leading southwest from the Borella Cemetery towards the ocean.  It is the address for many government agencies, embassies, association headquarters and the like.  Also for the weather office (above).  Or the Anglican cathedral (below).

P1012101

Das anglikanische Bistum Colombo wurde 1845 etabliert und der Bischof hatte seinen Sitz zunächst in der 1852 errichteten Christ Church im nördlichen Vorort Mutwal, ein schlichter, schmucker neugotischer Bau in den Dimensionen einer größeren Pfarrkirche. In den 1960er Jahren beschloß man, an der Bauddhaloka Mawatha einen Neubau zu errichten. Den Grundstein legte 1968 Bischof Harold de Soysa (hm…), der erste Einheimische unter den Inhabern dieses Amtes.

The Anglican dioceses of Colombo was established in 1845; its original church was Christ Church in the northern suburb of Mutwal, a pretty neogothic structure erected in 1852 and the size of a large parish church.  In the 1960s it was decided to build a new cathedral in Bauddhaloka Mawatha.  The first stone was laid in 1968 by bishop Harold de Soysa (hm…), the first native bishop of Colombo.

P1012103

Die Weihe erfolgte 1973. Die Architekten waren Tom Neville Wynne-Jones und P. H. Wilson Peiris.
The cathedral was consecrated in 1973.  Tom Neville Wynne-Jones and P.H. Wilson Peiris were the architects.

P1012105

P1012107

Den Bischofsstuhl brachte man offenkundig aus der alten Kathedrale mit.
The bishop’s throne evidently comes from the old cathedral.

P1012108

Ebenso die Porträts früherer Amtsinhaber.
As do the portraits of previous incumbents.

P1012104

Nicht etwa eine Orgel, sondern Orgelpfeifen, die Lautsprecher kaschieren.
Not an organ but organ pipes hiding loudspeakers.

P1012111

Aber was nicht ist kann ja noch werden.
But who knows what the future might hold?

P1012112

P1012120

T.N. Wynne-Jones zeichnete auch für dieses Gebäude verantwortlich, das 1948 eigens für die Zeremonie errichtet wurde, in der die Briten Ceylon in die Unabhängigkeit entließen. Vorbild war die Audienzhalle des Königspalastes in Kandy. Das (hölzerne) Original des 18. Jahrhunderts ist auf der Kandy gewidmeten Seite zu sehen. Wie der Vergleich zeigt, hat es Wynne-Jones für seinen eigenen Bau etwas aufgemotzt.

T.N. Wynne-Jones also designed this building, erected in 1948 expressly for the ceremony marking the island’s transition from British rule to independence.  It is modeled on the audience hall of the royal palace in Kandy.  The (wooden) original is shown on my Kandy page.  Wynne-Jones made his own version rather more grandiose.

P1012121

P1012122

Am Material für die Skulpturen hat man wohl etwas gespart. Diesem Löwen ist dauerhaft die Kinnlade heruntergeklappt. Denn er besteht offenbar gar nicht aus Stein, sondern aus armiertem Zement. Nur gut, daß es hier nie friert; rosten (und sich dann ganz wie in Spalten eindringendes gefrierendes Wasser ausdehnen) kann das Eisen der Armierungen aber auch.

It seems that the choice of building materials was dictated by considerations of economy.  This lion is now permanently agape.  What looks like stone is really reinforced cement.  Just as well temperatures never drop below zero here; but the iron reinforcements can still rust and thereby expand (as does water seeping into cracks when it freezes).

P1012123

P1012127

Der Mann auf dem Podest, Don Stephen Senanayake, war erster Premierminister des unabhängigen Ceylon.
The man on the pedestal, Don Stephen Senanayake, was independent Ceylon’s first prime minister.

P1012128

P1012125

Das ausgedehnte weiße Gebäude (Hintergrund oben und Bilder unten) liegt zwischen der Unabhängigkeitshalle und der Bauddhaloka M. Es beherbergte seinem generellen Habitus nach ursprünglich offenbar irgendeine Institution oder Anstalt, wurde aber unlängst zu einem sehr schicken Einkaufszentrum umgebaut. (Der Komplex ist wirklich riesig, die Bilder lassen das nicht erkennen. An einigen Flügeln bzw. Nebengebäuden wurde zum Zeitpunkt unseres Besuchs noch gearbeitet.)

The large white building (in the background above and in the photographs below) is situated between the Independence Hall and Bauddhaloka M.  From the look of it it must have been something institutional, but has recently been converted into a posh shopping mall.  (The complex is gigantic, the photographs do not show its full extent.  When we were there some wings or ancillary buildings still had construction work for the conversion going on.)

P1012118

P1012129

P1012131

P1012132

P1012116

P1012115

Bandaranaike Memorial International Conference Hall, auch an der Bauddhaloka M. Ein Geschenk der Volksrepublik China, errichtet 1970-73.
Bandaranaike Memorial International Conference Hall, also in Bauddhaloka M.  A gift from the People’s Republic of China, built in 1970-73.

P1012133

Geht man auf der Bauddhaloka M. immer weiter Richtung Meer, erreicht man schließlich die Galle Road, die Ausfallstraße Richtung Süden, die parallel zur Küste entlang führt.

If you keep following Bauddhaloka M. towards the sea you finally reach the Galle Road, the main thoroughfare leading south from the city and parallel to the coast.

P1012135

P1012136

Noch näher an der Küste verläuft die Eisenbahnlinie Richtung Galle (die Galle Road liegt etwas weiter landeinwärts, die Straße unmittelbar neben der Eisenbahn ist weniger befahren).  Unten: Bahnhof Bambalapitiya.

The railway line to Galle is even closer to the coast (the Galle Road is a little futher inland, the road running next to the tracks is less busy).  Below: Bambalapitiya station.

P1012137

P1012139

P1012140

Auch wenn die Leute auf den Gleisen stehen oder sitzen, als ob hier nie ein Zug vorbeikäme: die Strecke ist stark frequentiert.  Dabei sehen die Schienen aus, als ob sie eher heute als morgen brechen wollten.

Even though people stand or sit on the tracks as if they never expected a train to come along the line is actually quite busy.  Somewhat worryingly the rails look as if they were inclined to break today rather than tomorrow.

P1012141

P1012142

P1012143

P1012144

P1012145

P1012147

P1012149

Früher standen hier offenbar prächtige Villen, die fast alle bereits Geschäftsbauten gewichen sind.  In einer dieser Villen wohnen Figuren des Romans „Die Zimtgärten“ von Shyam Selvadurai, der die Geschicke einer verzweigten Familie der einheimischen Oberschicht in den 1920er Jahren schildert.  Dieses Buch, als Reiselektüre mitgenommen, ist eines der besten, das ich seit Jahren gelesen habe.

Formerly this was a neighbourhood of elegant mansions, now almost all replaced by commercial buildings.  One of those mansions is inhabited by characters of Shyam Selvadurai’s novel „Cinnamon Gardens“, which tells the story of members of a clan belonging to the native élite of the island in the 1920s.  I brought this as holiday reading and it is one of the best books I have read in years.

P1012148

P1012154

Oben: der Bahnhof Kompanna Vidiya (Slave Island) stammt ursprünglich aus den 1870er Jahren.  Da die Strecke aber erst 1913 zweigleisig wurde, muß der Bahnhof damals zumindest umgebaut worden sein.

Above: Kompanna Vidiya (Slave Island) station was originally built in the 1870s.  But the line only became double-track in 1913, at which point the station must at the very least have been altered.

P1012167

Wir sind im Stadtteil Hulftsdorp, der auf einem Hügel mit Blick über den in einiger Entfernung gelegenen Hafen und den Beira-See liegt (den Blick hat man natürlich nur hier und da zwischen den Gebäuden). Wie der Name verrät siedelten hier die Niederländer, vermutlich war es hier oben angenehmer als in den feuchten Niederungen? Benannt ist der Ort nach Gerard Hulft, einem Heerführer der niederländischen Ostindien-Kompanie (links auf einem Gemälde von Govert Flink). Er kam bei der letztlich erfolgreichen Belagerung der damals von den Portugiesen gehaltenen Festung Colombo 1656 ums Leben. Die Kirche oben im Bild ist aber, wie schon ihr Aussehen vermuten läßt, anglikanisch: die 1865 eröffnete All Saints Church.

We are in Hulftsdorp, a part of the city situated on a hill with a view of the distant harbour and Beira Lake (a view which however you have to be lucky to catch between the buildings).  As the name suggests this was a Dutch settlement.  Presumably it was more pleasant to live up here than in the swampy lowlands?  The place is named after Gerard Hulft, a military commander of the Dutch East India Company (above, in a portrait by Govert Flink; „dorp“ means „village“).  He was killed in the ultimately successful siege of Colombo, then held by the Portuguese, in 1656.  However, the church above is anglican, as its appearance already makes clear: All Saints Church, opened in 1865.

P1012178

Ad maiorem Dei gloriam. Tafel im Eingangsbereich der All Saints Church zur Erinnerung an die Weihe an Allerheiligen 1865. Als Initiatoren des Kirchenbaus werden ein Kanonikus Dias und ein Herr Perera genannt. Gute portugiesische Namen; nur — wie kamen sie dazu, Anglikaner zu sein?

Ad maiorem Dei gloriam.  Plaque near the west door of All Saints Church to commemorate its consecration on All Saints Day 1865.  The project is stated to have been initiated by one Canon Dias and one Reverend Perera.  Good Portuguese names — but how come they were Anglican?

P1012177

All Saints Church.

P1012176

P1012173

Hulftsdorp Street Ecke / corner of Dam Street (links / left).

P1012180

Blick die Dam Street hinunter, im Hintergrund die Kräne der Hafenanlagen beim Fort District. Dam Street = Damstraat? Kennt man aus Amsterdam…
Looking down Dam Street, with the cranes of the harbour in Fort District in the distance.  Dam Street = Damstraat?  Been there (in Amsterdam…).

P1012179

Die ursprüngliche oder aktuelle Funktion des Gebäudes mit dem imposanten Portikus habe ich nicht ermitteln können, es geht aber wohl auf das späte 18. Jahrhundert und damit die niederländische Zeit zurück.

I have been unable to determine the original or present function of the building with the imposing portico, but it seems to go back to the late 18th century and thus to the Dutch period.

P1012174

P1012183

Hulftsdorp wird heute überwiegend von Muslimen bewohnt, die auf Ceylon „Moors“ („Mauren“ oder auch „Mohren“) heißen. Oben: Grand Mosque („Große Moschee“) und daneben die Wolvendaal-Kirche.

Hulftsdorp is now populated predominantly by Muslims.  In Ceylon they are called „Moors“.  Above: Grand Mosque and next to it the Wolvendaal Church.

P1012184

P1012185

Bemerkenswert, daß der Name Dutch Reformed Church größer geschrieben ist als der aktuelle Name Christian Reformed Church, der noch dazu in Klammern steht. Als ob man hier über die Umbenennung 2008 nicht recht glücklich wäre. (Der englischen Sprache ist man anscheinend auch nur bedingt mächtig, denn „presently“ scheint falsch gebraucht — das Wort bedeutet ja „demnächst“, nicht, wie wohl intendiert, „gegenwärtig“).  Das Kirchengebäude, das angeblich 1000 Personen faßt, wurde 1757 fertiggestellt. Die Grabsteine an der Außenmauer und sogar im Innern sind aber zum Teil älter und stammen von der Kirche der Festung. Die ließen die Briten 1813 abreißen, überführten aber vorher die dort Bestatteten.

Remarkably the name Dutch Reformed Church is spelled in larger letters than the current name Christian Reformed Church, which is even put in parentheses.  As if someone here were unhappy about the change of name in 2008.  (And the use of the word „presently“ in the sense, presumably, of „currently“ is of course wrong — but so is much of the English seen or heard in the island.) The church building supposedly holds 1,000 people and was completed in 1757.  But some of the tombstones placed against the outer walls and even some of those inside are older.  They come from the church in the fort.  That church was demolished by the British in 1813, but not without first transferring the burials here.

lascoreen guard

Oben: Ehrengarde von Lascoreens, wohl 1930er Jahre (Ceylon National Archives)
Above: Guard of honour of Lascoreens, probably photographed in the 1930s.

Am 4. September 1813 um acht Uhr abends setzt sich von der Festung ein von Fackelträgern begleiteter Leichenzug in Richtung der Wolvendaal-Kirche in Bewegung. Vorne eine Abordnung Kavallerie, die Hufe der Pferde umwickelt, um Lärm zu vermeiden, gefolgt von einer Militärkapelle, die getragene Weisen intoniert, und einer Ehrengarde Infanteriesoldaten. Dann fünf Särge, ebenfalls von Infanteriesoldaten getragen. Dieser Teil der Prozession auf beiden Seiten flankiert von verbliebenen Honoratioren der niederländischen Kolonie. Dahinter Geistlichkeit, dann erneut Honoratioren der Niederländer, gefolgt von einheimischen Honoratioren (mudaliyars) und ihrer Garde einheimischer Soldaten (niederländisch laskorijnen, englisch lascoreens oder lascarins). Nun die Offiziere der Garnison, hinter ihnen die zivilen Würdenträger der Kolonie, schließlich, in Kutschen, die Mitglieder des Rates sowie der Gouverneur und sein Stab. Der Gouverneur sicherlich in Uniform, bei ihm in scharlachroten Roben und Perücken der oberste Richter der Insel sowie dessen Stellvertreter — niemand anders als der uns schon bekannte William Coke. Auch dieser Teil der Prozession flankiert von Lascoreens. Den Schluß bildet nochmals Infanterie.  Es muß viel Zeit vergangen sein, bis all diese Würdenträger die ihnen zugedachten Plätze in der Wolvendaal-Kirche eingenommen haben! Vielleicht spielt währenddessen die offenbar vorhandene Orgel. Es folgt ein Aussegnungs-Gottesdienst, woraufhin die fünf Särge in ihren neuen Grüften versenkt werden. Etwas später überführt man, nun ohne aufwendiges Zeremoniell, die verbleibenden Särge und die Grabsteine, dann legt man die offenbar nur bescheidene und in schlechtem Zustand befindliche Kirche der Festung nieder. (Dargestellt nach Carl Muller, Colombo, Penguin Books 1996. Vermutlich waren mindestens die bedeutenderen Persönlichkeiten nach europäischem Muster in zugelöteten Metallsärgen beigesetzt, die in Grabgewölben lagerten. Muller sagt nichts darüber, um wessen fünf Särge es sich handelte und warum gerade sie so feierlich überführt wurden.)

On 4 September 1813 at eight in the evening a funeral procession accompanied by torch bearers sets out from the fort in the direction of the Wolvendaal Church.  First comes a cavalry detachment, the hooves of the horses wrapped in cloth to avoid noise, followed by a military band playing slow tunes and a guard of honour of foot soldiers.   Then five coffins, also carried by foot soldiers.  This part of the procession is flanked on both sides by remaining senior members of the Dutch community.  Behind them walk clergymen, then more Dutch dignitaries, and native dignitaries (mudaliyars) with their guard of native soldiers (laskorijnen in Dutch, lascoreens or lascarins in English). Next, the officers of the British garrison, followed by the civilian representatives of the British crown, and finally, in carriages, the members of the council and the governor and his staff.  The governor no doubt in uniform; with him, wearing their wigs and scarlet robes, are the supreme judge and his deputy (the puisne judge — none other than William Coke, whom we have met).  This part of the procession is also flanked by Lascoreens.  At the end of the procession, more foot soldiers.  It must have taken a long time for all these dignitaries to take the places assigned to them in the Wolvendaal Church.  Maybe the organ was playing — there certainly was one.  After the funeral service the five coffins were lowered into their new vaults.  A little later the remaining coffins and the tombstones were likewise transferred, without any special ceremony.  Only then was the church in the fort, clearly a rather modest and by then dilapidated building, pulled down.  (This description follows the one in Carl Muller, Colombo, Penguin Books 1996. Presumably the more important dead at least were buried in soldered metal coffins after the European fashion of the period.  Muller says nothing about why five coffins were singled out for special treatment, or who was in them.)

P1012188

Joan Pi(e)ter Clop van Solingen (1700-1737)

Leutnant der Miliz / Lieutenant of the militia.

P1012189

Rachel Brouwers (1666-91)

Gattin des „Oberchirurgen der Festung Colombo“ Jan Jacob Brunek. Hier wie auf anderen niederländischen Grabsteinen in der Kirche zu beobachten: die Frauen werden immer mit ihrem Geburtsnamen genannt, es scheint nicht üblich gewesen zu sein, den Namen des Ehemanns anzunehmen. Und anders als im Deutschen kann oder konnte offenbar im Niederländischen eine „huysvrouw“, also eine verheiratete Frau, immer noch „iuffrouw“ heißen. Eine „Jungfer“ war hingegen immer unverheiratet, wenn ich das recht sehe?

Wife of the „chief surgeon of the fort of Colombo“ Jan Jacob Brunek.  It is noticeable on this tombstone as on others in the church that women are identified by their birth name.  It does not seem to have been customary to adopt the husband’s name.

P1012186

Catharina Elisabeth Alstorph (Colombo 1683-84)

P1012202

P1012195

Henrietta Tugendreich Baronesse de Reder (? – 1778)

Gattin des „Oberkaufmanns-Dessave der Umlande von Colombo“ Cornelis de Cock.  Dessave? Das Internet weiß Rat:
Wife of the „Chief Merchant-Dessave of the environs of Colombo“ Cornelis de Cock.  Dessave?  The internet knows:

DESSAVE
HOGE AMBTSTITEL OP CEYLON, OORSPRONKELIJK VOOR GOUVERNEURS VAN DE MAHARADJA, LATER DOOR DE COMPAGNIE OVERGENOMEN VOOR EUROPESE HOOFDEN VAN EEN DISTRICT OF DESSAVONIJ. SINGALEES DISAVA. (ENCYCLO.NL — NEDERLANDSE ENCYCLOPEDIE)

(Dessave: hoher Amtstitel auf Ceylon, ursprünglich für Gouverneure des Maharadschas [von Maharadschas auf C. habe ich allerdings noch nie gehört — sind die Könige gemeint?], von der [Vereinigten Ostindischen] Kompanie später für europäische Vorsteher eines Bezirks oder Dessavonei übernommen. Singalesisch disava.)
(Dessave: high official title in Ceylon, originally for governors of the maharadja [I have never heard of maharadjas in Ceylon — do they mean the kings?], later adopted by the [United East India] Company for the European heads of a district or dessavonei.  Disava in Sinhala.)

„Oberkaufmann“ klingt gar nicht nach einem besonders großartigen Amt. Es muß aber wohl doch etwas wert gewesen sein, wenn Herr de Cock den Titel Dessave führte und eine Baronesse zur Frau hatte!
„Chief Merchant“ somehow does not sound very grand.  But it must have been an important charge, if Mijnheer de Cock was both a dessave and married to a baroness!

P1012196

Gerhard Reynier de Cock (? – 1777)

„Unterkaufmann und als gewesener Erster Packhaus-Meister in Galle in die Niederlande entlassen“ — wenn ich das richtig deute? Und dann zurückgekehrt? Denn der Inschrift nach ist er ja „hier zur Ruhe gelegt“.  Oder war er nie weg?  Das würde dann darauf hindeuten, daß der Dienst auf der Insel als Last empfunden wurde und man bei der Entlassung normalerweise nichts besseres zu tun hatte, als umgehend in die Heimat zurückzukehren?  Vielleicht wurde Gerhard hier auch geboren und die Baronesse war seine Mutter?

„Under-Merchant and discharged to the Netherlands as a former First Master of the Packing House at Galle“ — if I’m getting this right?  And then he came back?  Since the inscription says that he was „here laid to rest“.  Or did he never leave?  That would seem to suggest that service in the island was considered a burden and that once you were discharged the expectation was that you would return home in a hurry.  Maybe Gerhard was actually born here and the baroness was his mother?

P1012199

Sara Maria Raket (Jaffnapatnam [Jaffna] 1734 – Colombo 1768) & Adriana Maria Moens (Colombo 1765 – 1765).

Gattin des Oberkaufmanns und Soldbuchhalters Adriaan Moens.  Adriana Maria war „ihr Töchterchen“ (dogtertje).
Wife of the Chief Merchant and Paymaster Adriaan Moens.  Adriana Maria was her „little daughter“ (dogtertje).

P1012210

Elias Raket (Jaffnapatnam [Jaffna] 1731 – Colombo? 1789), „opziender van den arreek“.

„Opsiender“ dürfte soviel wie „Aufseher“, „Kontrolleur“ bedeuten (das Wort ist heute nicht mehr gebräuchlich und die Wörterbücher kennen es — auch mit z statt s geschrieben — nicht); aber was zum Teufel ist „arreek“? Im Netz finden sich Texte aus der niederländischen Kolonialgeschichte, in denen dieses Wort, gern auch in der Kombination mit „opsiender“ oder „opziender“, auftaucht, aber nirgends finde ich eine Erklärung, worum es sich handelt. Die fraglichen Texte suggerieren Güterumschlag und etwas, was finanzielle Bedeutung hatte. Erst dachte ich an eine Art Zoll, dann fiel mir „Arrak“ ein, Palmschnaps aus dem Blütensaft von Kokospalmen, der auf Ceylon wie auch in Indonesien hergestellt wird und mit dem die Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie viel Geld verdiente. Aber Arrak heißt auch in älteren Quellen Arrak. Um Palmen geht es indes wohl doch: ich nehme an, die Rede ist von der Betelnuß, der Frucht der Arekapalme (Areca catechu), die offenbar für die VOC ebenfalls ein wichtiges Handelsgut darstellte. Elias war sicherlich mit Sara Maria Raket verwandt, wohl ihr älterer Bruder.

„Opsiender“ must mean something like „supervisor“ (the word is no longer in use and dictionaries do not have it, not even spelled with a „z“ instead of the „s“ in line with today’s Dutch orthography); but what on earth is „arreek“?  The internet yields texts from Dutch colonial history in which this word appears, indeed it tends to do so in combination with „opsiender“ or „opziender“, but I cannot find an explanation of what it actually is.  The texts in question imply trade and something of monetary value.  At first I thought of some kind of customs duty, then I thought of „arrak“, brandy made from the sap of the inflorescences of coconut trees; this is produced in Ceylon and Indonesia and the Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie made a lot of money from it.  But even in older sources arrak is spelled arrak.  However, palm trees are probably indeed involved: I think that we are talking about the fruit of the areca palm (Areca catechu), i.e. areca nuts or betel nuts, which were clearly also commercially important for the VOC.  No doubt Elias was related to Sara Maria Raket, probably her elder brother.

P1012200

Christina Elizabeth van Angelbeek (1756-92)

Gattin des Ordentlichen Rats von Niederländisch Indien und Gouverneurs von Ceylon Willem Iakob van de Graaff. An sie erinnert sowohl die Grabplatte als auch ein hölzernes Epitaph an der Kirchenwand, wo sie als „Christiane Elisabeth“ erscheint:

Wife of the Ordinary Councillor of the Dutch Indies and Governor of Ceylon Willem Iakob van de Graaff.  She is commemorated both by this tombstone and by a wooden monument on the wall of the church, where she appears as „Christiane Elisabeth“:

P1012204

P1012204 auschn

Als Christiane Elisabeth mit 36 Jahren  starb, hatte sie nicht weniger als 11 Kinder zur Welt gebracht, von denen aber nur zwei Söhne und eine Tochter sie überlebten.

When Christiane Elisabeth died at age 36, she had given birth to no fewer than 11 children, but only two sons and a daughter survived her.

P1012201

Anna Henrietta van Beaumont (Kaapstad 1716 – Colombo 1755)

HIER VERWACHTEN
EENE VERHEERLŸKTE OPSTANDINGE
DE STERFLŸKE OVERBLŸFSELS
VAN WŸLEN DE WELGEBOORENE VROUWE
ANNA HENRIETTA VAN BEAUMONT
GEMAALINNE VAN
IOAN GIDEON LOTEN
RAAD ORDINAIR VAN
NEDERLANDS INDIA
GOUVERNEUR VAN T EŸLAND CEŸLON
MET DIES ONDERHORIGHEDEN

„Hier erwarten eine verherrlichte Auferstehung die sterblichen Überbleibsel von weiland der wohlgeborenen Frau Anna Henrietta van Beaumont, Gemahlin von Ioan Gideon Loten, Ordentlicher Rat von Niederländisch Indien Gouverneur der Insel Ceylon mit deren abhängigen Gebieten…“

„Here await their glorious resurrection the mortal remains of…Anna Henrietta van Beaumont, wife of Ioan Gideon Loten, Ordinary Councillor of the Dutch Indies, Governor of the island of Ceylon with its dependencies…“

Daß Anna Henrietta van Beaumont in Kapstadt geboren wurde, entnehme ich der Biographie ihres Ehemanns von A.J.P. Raat: Joan Gideon Loten (1710-1789). A personal history of a Dutch virtuoso (Hilversum 2010, auch Dissertation Universität Leiden). Loten hinterließ offenbar umfangreiche Aufzeichnungen, auch betreffend den Tod der Gattin. In der Nacht zum 23. Mai 1755 fegt ein verheerender Wirbelsturm über Colombo hinweg. In der Folge entwickelt Anna Henrietta ein malum hystericum (ein Nervenleiden), das Rütteln des Windes an den Fenstern und der Umstand, daß es während einiger Tage nicht gelingt, das Dach abzudichten und der heftige Monsunregen ins Haus eindringt, verursachen ihr großes Unbehagen. Danach kränkelt sie. Am 10. August träumt Loten, seine Frau sei gestorben. Noch weinend wacht er auf, findet sie aber zu seiner Erleichterung neben sich liegen und nach seinem Befinden fragen. Auf die Gegenfrage, wie es ihr gehe, antwortet sie zu seiner Überraschung, sie fühle sich schwach und bedrückt, aber das werde schon vergehen. (Sie redet ihn mit „Loten“ an.) Doch im Lauf des Tages verschlechtert sich ihr Zustand rapide, der Arzt erklärt ihr am Abend düster und ohne Umschweife, sie werde sterben, was sie scheinbar mit größter Gelassenheit aufnimmt. Den Geistlichen, den zu rufen ihr Mann anbietet, will sie nicht. Immer wieder faßt sie Joan Gideon bei der Hand und tätschelt sie mit einem freundlichen Lächeln oder umarmt ihn auch, „nicht leidenschaftlich, sondern wie zum Scherz“. Auch die Tochter ist inzwischen anwesend, hilft ihrer Mutter, ein wenig Bier zu trinken, führt das Glas, das Anna nicht mehr selbst halten kann, zum Mund. Die Kranke murmelt mit ausdruckslosem Gesicht immer wieder die gleichen, kaum verständlichen Worte, Joan Gideon glaubt zu hören „ich bin die Braut, ich werde heiraten…“ Ihr Mund steht offen, die Zunge hängt schlaff heraus, Joan Gideon wischt ihr den Speichel vom Kinn, doch schließt sie den Mund wieder, bevor sie auch die Augen schließt und stirbt. Ruhig und schön sei ihr Gesicht gewesen, wie das einer Schlafenden, und habe sich nicht verändert, bis am 12. August der Sarg geschlossen wird. Man bestattet Anna Henrietta in der Kirche der Festung. Der Tod seiner offenbar geliebten Frau ist für den Gouverneur ein schwerer Schlag, zumal erst 10 Tage zuvor „Karlchen“ (Careltje), sein nicht zweijähriger Enkel, ebenfalls gestorben war. Ein Jahr darauf stirbt auch die Tochter, im siebten Monat schwanger, in Batavia (Djakarta).

That Anna Henrietta van Beaumont was born in Cape Town I learned from the biography of her husband by A.J.P. Raat: Joan Gideon Loten (1710-1789). A personal history of a Dutch virtuoso (Hilversum 2010, originally a doctoral thesis submitted to Leiden university). Loten clearly left a wealth of records and notes, including about the death of his wife.  In the night preceding 23 May 1755 a devastating hurricane hits Colombo.  Apparently as a result Anna Henrietta develops a malum hystericum (a nervous condition).  The wind rattling the windows and the circumstance that for several days the roof leaks despite all efforts and allows the violent monsoon rains to penetrate into the house cause her great discomfort.  Afterwards she never recovers fully.  On 10 August Loten dreams that his wife has died.  Still crying he wakes and is relieved to find her lying beside him and asking him if he is all right.  He asks her the same question and she answers to his surprise that she is feeling weak and depressed, but that she is sure it will pass. (She addresses him as „Loten“.)  But in the course of the day she deteriorates rapidly.  In the evening the doctor tells here somberly and without delicacy that she will die; she accepts that seemingly with the greatest serenity.  Her husband offers to call a clergyman but she refuses.   Again and again she takes his hand, caresses it with a friendly smile or even embraces him, „not passionately but as in jest“.  Her daughter has now come too and helps her to drink some beer, holding the glass to her mouth since she is too weak to do it herself.  Her face expressionless the dying woman keeps mumbling the same, barely intelligible words; Joan Gideon thinks it might be „I am the bride, I shall be married…“  Her mouth remains open, the tongue protrudes weakly, Joan Gideon wipes the spittle off her chin.  But she closes her mouth again before she also closes her eyes and dies.  According to Joan Gideon her face was calm and beautiful and remained so until the coffin was shut on 12 August.  Anna Henrietta is buried in the church in the fort.  Her death hits the governor hard, as he seems to have been deeply attached to her; moreover only 10 days earlier his grandson, „Little Charles“ (Careltje), had also died, not even two years old.  A year later his daughter, seven months pregnant, dies in Batavia (Djakarta).

Loten kehrt 1757 nach Europa zurück und verbringt, finanziell unabhängig, den größten Teil seines verbleibenden Lebens in London; er macht sich einen Namen als Naturkundler. Begraben ist er in der Jakobikirche in Utrecht. Das Verb „verwachten“ steht im Plural, als ob im dummerweise nicht fotografierten unteren Teil der Inschrift noch jemand anders genannt würde. Das kann nicht Joan Gideon sein, auch der genannte Enkel war aber in der Festung begraben und wurde 1813 überführt. Bemerkenswert finde ich das Fehlen der religiösen Dimension in der Beschreibung der Sterbeszene — die Kranke will keinen geistlichen Beistand, es ist nicht die Rede davon, daß vor oder nach ihrem Tod etwa gebetet wird, Gott kommt nicht vor. Loten überlegt zwar, ob die Worte „ich bin die Braut“ darauf hindeuten, daß Anna sich als eine Art Braut Christi sieht, ist aber davon nicht überzeugt. Loten selbst war offenbar eher ein Freidenker.

Loten returns to Europe in 1757.  Financially independent, he spends most of his remaining life in London where he enjoys a reputation as a naturalist.  He is buried in St James‘ Church in Utrecht.  The verb „verwachten“ „await“ is in the plural, as if in the lower part of the inscription, which stupidly I did not photograph, another person were mentioned.  This cannot be Joan Gideon, but „Littel Charles“ the grandson was also buried in the fort and reinterred in 1813.  What I find remarkable in the description of the death of Anna Henrietta is the lack of any religious dimension.  The dying woman refuses spiritual assistance, there is no reference to praying at any point, God is never mentioned.  Loten does wonder if the words „I am the bride“ suggest that Anna saw herself as some sort of bride of Christ, but is not convinced of that. Loten himself comes across as rather a free thinker.

P1012208

Catharina Bosch verheiratete Camp (Amsterdam 1747 – Colombo 1789)

P1012209

Iman Willem Falck (Colombo 1736 – Colombo 1785), „Gouverneur und Direktor der Insel Ceylon und der davon abhängigen Gebiete“. „Iman“ scheint tatsächlich sein erster Vorname gewesen zu sein. Das Internet kennt „Iman“ als männlichen (öfter weiblichen) Vornamen praktisch nur aus dem muslimischen Kulturkreis (und immerhin war Falck ja auf der Insel geboren). Zwar gab es den Namen in ganz alter Zeit offenbar auch im Niederländischen. Vater Falck kam allerdings aus Köln am Rhein…!

Iman Willem Falck (Colombo 1736 – Colombo 1785), „Governor and Director of the Island of Ceylon and its dependencies“. „Iman“ really seems to have been his first name.  The internet refers to this name almost exclusively as a given name for boys or, more frequently, girls in the islamic world (and, after all, Falck was born in the island).   On the other hand the name did exist in Low German too, in very ancient times. In fact, though, Falck’s father was from Cologne.

P1012209 ausschn

TER GEDAGTENISSE
VAN DEN WELEDELEN GROOT AGT BAAREN HEER
IMAN WILLEM FALCK
IN T LEEVEN RAAD ORD VAN NEDERLANDS INDIEN
GOUVERNEUR EN DIRECTEUR VAN T EILAND CEYLON EN RESORTE
VAN DIEN GEB
TE KOLOMBO DEN 25 MART Ao 1736 OVERLEDEN
TE KOLOMBO DEN 6 FEBRS 1785

Ungefähr das gleiche steht auch auf der Grabplatte für Falck im Boden der Kirche.
The tombstone set into the church floor says more or less the same things.

carl frederik reymer aquarell

Oben: Gouverneur Falck (mit schwarzem Dreispitz auf dem Stuhl links) empfängt eine Abordnung des Königs von Kandy, Januar 1772. Aquarell von Carel Frederik Reymer (Amsterdam, Rijksmuseum). Der Raum (möglicherweise genau der, den die Briten später in die Fort Church umwandelten) ist zwar groß, läßt aber selbst auf diesem Bild eine gewisse Schäbigkeit erahnen. Es fällt auf, daß man im 18. Jahrhundert Gouverneur von Ceylon ziemlich jung werden konnte (Falck 1765 mit 31 Jahren). Auch daß ein Gouverneur auf der Insel selbst geboren sein konnte mag darauf hindeuten, daß das Amt in der Hierarchie der VOC keine Spitzenposition darstellte. Tatsächlich war Ceylon der Niederlassung der VOC in Batavia (Djakarta) untergeordnet. Nicht klar ist mir, was mit den im Gouverneurstitel genannten Dependenzen von Ceylon (hier: „Ceylon en resorte van dien“, bzw. auf dem van Beaumont-Grabstein „Ceylon met dies onderhorigheden“) gemeint ist. Der Titel ist insofern besonders großspurig, als nicht einmal die Insel Ceylon selbst vollständig unter Kontrolle der VOC stand, vielmehr das Königreich Kandy im Inselinnern ja selbständig blieb. Die VOC in Batavia legte auch keinen Wert auf Eroberungsversuche. Als Falcks Nachfolger Willem Jacob van de Graaff sich anschickte, Kandy zu annektieren, wurde er von Batavia zurückgepfiffen und trat aus Protest zurück. Sein Nachfolger als letzter niederländischer Gouverneur in Colombo wurde dann Johan van Angelbeek. (Dieser, 1727 in Wittmund in Ostfriesland geboren, war der Vater der Gattin seines Vorgängers.)

Above: Governor Falck (with black tricorn on the chair to the left) receives a delegation of the king of Kandy, January 1772. Watercolour by Carel Frederik Reymer (Amsterdam, Rijksmuseum). The room (possibly the very one later turned into the Fort Church by the British) is large, but even this picture suggests a certain shabbiness.  It is remarkable that in the 18th century you could become governor of Ceylon at a fairly young age (Falck was appointed in 1765 at the age of 31). The fact that a governor could be born in the island could likewise be seen as an indication that this office did not rank so very highly in the VOC hierarchy.  Indeed Ceylon was answerable to the VOC office in Batavia (Djakarta). I have no idea what the „dependencies“ of the island mentioned in the gubernatorial title might have been (here: „Ceylon en resorte van dien“, and on the van Beaumont tombstone „Ceylon met dies onderhorigheden“).  The title sounds all the more grandiloquent as not even the island itself was controlled by the VOC in its entirety, since the kingdom of Kandy in the interior remained independent.  Nor could the VOC in Batavia be bothered to change this.  When Falck’s successor Willem Jacob van de Graaff moved to annex Kandy, Batavia ordered him to desist and he resigned in protest.  He was succeeded by Johan van Angelbeek, the last Dutch governor in Colombo. (Born in 1727 at Wittmund in northwestern Germany, van Angelbeek was de Graaff’s father-in-law.)

P1012193

P1012203 m auschn

P1012207

Eine der wenigen Orgeln, die es auf der Insel zu fotografieren gab, und dann verwackelt. Deutlich ein Instrument britischer Faktur des späteren 19. Jahrhunderts, dem Anschein nach zweimanualig. Im Netz wird es vielfach erwähnt, aber nur von Laien („über hundert Jahre alt“ — nein sowas), nirgends finden sich Angaben zu Baujahr, Erbauerfirma, Disposition. Zum Zustand wenigstens liest man wiederholt, das Instrument sei „in perfect condition“. Muller in seiner Schilderung der Überführung der Toten aus der Festung spricht im Vorbeigehen von einer Orgelempore in der Wolvendaal-Kirche. Von einer solchen, gar einer noch aus niederländischer Zeit stammenden Orgel fehlt heute anders als in Galle jede Spur. Angesichts der Raumhöhe liegt die Annahme nicht nur einer Orgelempore, sondern hölzerner Galerien mit zusätzlichen Sitzplätzen allerdings nahe. Was ich im Netz finde, sind Regesten der Protokolle des reformierten Konsistoriums von Colombo aus den Jahren 1735-97. Hiernach wurde am 13. August 1776 empfohlen, den bisherigen Organisten Christiaan Reikheer zum Küster und als (neuen? zusätzlichen?) Organisten einen Herrn Toerks zu ernennen. Das ist die einzige Bezugnahme auf Organisten in diesen Regesten, aber immerhin. An welcher Kirche die beiden Herren spielten, geht aus der Zusammenfassung der fraglichen Sitzung übrigens nicht hervor. Im Namensregister zu den Regesten sind sie als Organisten der Wolvendaal-Kirche ausgewiesen. Etwas verwirrend ist allerdings, daß Reikheer 1783 in den Regesten als Küster der Kirche der Festung bezeichnet wird (sonst taucht er ebensowenig nochmals auf wie der nur einmal genannte Toerks). Unten: Akten des Konsistoriums von Colombo.

One of the few organs to be photographed in the island and the image is blurred.  Clearly a British-made instrument from the latter part of the 19th century, by the look of it with two manuals.  It rates frequent mentions of the web, but only from non-experts („over a hundred years old“ — no shit!); nobody has anything to say about the date, the builder, the specification.  At least the instrument is repeatedly stated to be „in perfect condition“. Muller in his description of the transferral of the burials from the fort mentions in passing an organ loft in the Wolvendaal Church.  Unlike in Galle there is no trace of this today, let alone of the organ itself.  Given the height of the building it seems likely that it originally contained balconies with additional seating.  What I do find on the web are summaries of the minutes of the Reformed Consistory of Colombo from the years 1735-97. According to this it was recommended on 13 August 1776 to appoint Christiaan Reikheer, hitherto the organist, as the (new? additional?) verger and one Mr. Toerks as organist. Nowhere else is an organist or an organ mentioned in these summaries, but still.  Unfortunately it is not clear from the text which church we are talking about.  The index to the summaries calls the two gentlemen organists of the Wolvendaal Church.  But somewhat confusingly Reikheer is mentioned in 1783 as verger of the church in the fort (the only other time he appears in the summaries).  Below: minutes of the Colombo consistory.

P1012211

Diese ebenfalls an der Außenmauer der Kirche aufgestellten Grabsteine des 19. Jahrhunderts haben englische Inschriften.
These tombstones, also placed against the outer wall of the church, date from the 19th century and have English inscriptions.

P1011982

(Fort District)